Sunday 26 August 2007

Wembley - home at last

Had the great honour of being at the Challenge Cup Final yesterday. Congratulations to St Helens for winning the trophy, but like most neutrals I was rooting for Catalans.
I was sad when the decision was made to get rid of the twin towers, but I've got to say that the walk along Wembley Way from Wembley Park tube station was as good as it ever was.
I really enjoyed the game - a real Cup Final with plenty of grit and tension. If the Dragons could have held on to the ball a bit better and a break or two had gone their way (how did Jason Croker's try not get awarded for benefit of the doubt??) things may have turned out differently, but after just two seasons they've achieved a great deal in getting to the Final. Building on the Semi Final appearance of Toulouse a couple of seasons ago it bodes really well for the game in France.
When you think that it was ILLEGAL for our game to use the word Rugby in France until 1981 (we had to use jeu a treize rather than Rugby a treize), the fightback is well and truly underway. Let's hope for a good French performance in the World Cup next year and the re-establishment of in season Tests against France every year.
I've digressed a bit from my elation at being back at Wembley! I enjoy the Millennium Stadium a lot, having been to the Wales - New Zealand game in the 2000 World Cup, the 2004 Challenge Cup Final and this year's Millennium Magic; the fans had a great time in Edinburgh at the Murrayfield final by all accounts; I'll leave my comments about Twickenham on the grounds that this is aimed at a family audience (those b*****s spent a hundred years trying to destroy us!)
However good the other venues were, Wembley really does feel like home for our game. I've seen some classic Test matches at the venue as well as Cup Finals and we really do wear the stadium well. I hope the reopening will prompt the Rugby Football League out of its fear of an empty seat at Tests (not daring to go to a venue bigger than 25,000) and bring Test football back to Wembley.

No comments: