Wednesday 29 August 2007

No Farewell for Peachey?

Its sad to see that David Peachey hasn't been picked for the Rabbitohs last game of the regular season this weekend. They may well have a Finals game of course, or indeed Jason Taylor may spring a surprise and play him with a Premier League number - let's hope so.
I've always been a great admirer of David Peachey. He is such an elegant, deceptively quick player; usually unflustered and great at chiming into the line at the right time in attack. I don't know the details of his Widnes sojourn but it looked to me that he was harshly treated. Even though they were relegated from Super League he came across to play for them, and it seemed the first panic wave saw him blown away back to Australia.
I also think he should have played a lot more representative football than he did. I'm sure that if he was a Queenslander he would have done so. I am a Maroon so a bit skewed but being a Pom I have no direct interest in the politics of the game in Australia. It seems to me though that Aboriginal and immigrant players have a much tougher time of making the Blues than the Maroons. There may be a counter argument that they have a bigger pool of players to choose from, but I don't think that holds water. Apart from Peachey recent examples for me include Nathan Blacklock, who was consitently NRL top scorer at St George, and the LEGEND that is Hazem El Masri, for me the best winger in the modern game. Any of these players would have had handfuls of appearances for the Maroons - this in the context that Queensland politics has generally been much more right wing than their NSW neighbours.
In any case, all best wishes to the Peach in his future endeavours. He certainly is the kind of role model young indigenous Australians need, and his work in rural communities will pay dividends for our game and the Australian nation in years to come.

No comments: